Workers’ Compensation

Monmouth County Workers’ Compensation Law Firm

personal-injury-claims-1024x683Representing clients after work injuries

When you are injured on the job, workers’ compensation is in place to help you receive the care you need. Whether you are employed in dangerous occupations, including construction, or work in an office, accidents are bound to happen and workers’ compensation is in place to help. Workers’ compensation was implemented to provide compensation for injured workers without regard to negligence. Many years ago, if a worker was injured, they would have to sue their employer for damages. This would usually end in overwhelming legal fees, a lost case, and a loss of employment. In most cases, employees could not afford the financial burden and would ignore their serious injury to support their families. Those days are over and workers’ compensation is here to protect an employee from the effects of workplace injuries and employers from legal action. If you are injured because of the negligence of a third party, you may need to prove your case and bring a lawsuit. Though it seems straightforward, insurance companies are quick to dispute claims of serious injury and outside lawsuits come with their own pitfalls. This is when you need effective legal representation the most. If you need quality legal support from a passionate and skilled law firm, contact Tomes & Hanratty, P.C.  

After a workplace accident

The first thing you should do after a workplace injury is to seek medical attention and notify your employer. The notice can be given to anyone in authority at your business if the employer is not available. The employer is obligated to notify the insurance carrier immediately in order to file a First Report of Injury with the state. The insurance carrier will assess the situation and determine if the injury should be covered under workers’ compensation law. The insurance provider will direct the injured worker to an authorized medical provider. If the injury extends past 7 days, the insurance will provide temporary disability. Within 26 weeks of an employee’s return to work or best possible medical condition, the carrier will submit a form called the Subsequent Report of Injury to the state. If your workers’ compensation insurance provider disputes your claim or the severity of your injury, you need quality representation.

Third-party lawsuits and workers’ compensation liens

In many cases, people will automatically file a workers’ compensation without regard for the fact that their injuries were caused by the negligence of a third-party. If you are injured by a third party and need to take legal action after a workers’ compensation claim has been paid out, you may be responsible for reimbursement of the support you received after the incident. In most cases, you will have a workers’ compensation lien against any recovery from your third party action.

Contact our Freehold workers’ compensation attorneys

If you are injured on the job, you need quality legal support through the process. With insurance companies trying to limit their payout and the possible need for third-party legal action, you need an effective legal team to protect your rights at every step. If you need our legal guidance and support, feel free to contact Tomes & Hanratty, P.C. for a consultation.