Frances A Tomes, Esq.
Frances A. Tomes is a shareholder and founding member of the firm Tomes and Hanratty, P.C. The Freehold, New Jersey firm handles cases involving general civil litigation, including medical malpractice claims, pharmaceutical and medical device claims, toxic tort and asbestos litigation. She also handles cases involving individual and class action consumer protection cases. Ms. Tomes received her law degree with honors from New York Law School in New York, NY. Before forming this firm in 1993, she was an attorney at Garruto, Galex and Cantor in East Brunswick, NJ, and Subin Associates in New York City.
- New Jersey, 1986
- New York, 1986
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1986
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1986
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1986
Honors and Accomplishments
- Ms. Tomes was one of three trial attorneys representing plaintiffs in the first multi-plaintiff trial in NJ asbestos litigation resulting in a combined verdict of over $1 million. She has successfully litigated numerous other multi-plaintiff cases.
- Ms. Tomes has litigated as co-lead counsel consumer product class actions that have generated settlements for consumers nationwide.
- In Extensis, Inc. v. Hewlett-Packard Company, Ms. Tomes was co-lead counsel in a consumer fraud class action that resulted in a settlement valued at over $140 million in rebate certificates and repair kits for purchasers of certain defective HP LaserJet printers.
- Other cases in which she obtained large settlements in class action suits include Pisano v. Peg Perego, involving defective strollers, as well as Gutelkov v. Buy Buy Baby, involving improper tax charges.
- Ms. Tomes is a member of the Board of Governors of the New Jersey Association of Justice and a member of the Insurance Bad Faith Committee of the New Jersey Association of Justice.
- Ms. Tomes is a member of the New Jersey State Bar Association Committees for Consumer Protection, Medical Malpractice, Class Action and Product Liability.
- Ms. Tomes was designated as one of the Top Attorneys in New Jersey by her peers in 2010. 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016. Ms. Tomes worked Pro-Bono as Co-Liaison Counsel for the former New Jersey Bextra Pharmaceutical Injury Litigation.
- Ms. Tomes has been certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Certified Civil Trial Attorney. This certified legal specialty is a distinction awarded to less than three percent of the attorneys in New Jersey.
- Civil Litigation
- Consumer Protection
- Medical Malpractice & Nursing Home Claims
- Pharmaceutical Claims
- Medical Device Claims
- Toxic Tort
- Asbestos Litigation
- Slip and Falls
- Construction accidents
Associations and Memberships
- Monmouth Bar Association, Member, 2012-present
- New Jersey Association for Justice, Member, 2001-present
- Middlesex County Bar Association, Member, 2001-present
- National Association of Consumer Attorneys, Member, 2007-present
- Board of Governors of New Jersey Association for Justice, Member
- Bad Faith Committee for New Jersey Association of Justice, Member
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Medical Malpractice Committee
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Consumer Protection Committee
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Product Liability Committee
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Class Action Committee
- Middlesex County Asbestos Advisory Committee, 2000-2008
- New Jersey Bextra Pharmaceutical Litigation Co-Liaison Counsel.