Published on

When pedestrians walk along sidewalks or cross the road, they must remain aware of their surroundings. Accidents can occur at any time. Even though they may be following the proper signs by walking in crosswalks, they can still be put in danger. Drivers of motor vehicles may be distracted and contribute to an accident. Pedestrians can be struck by these drivers and put in grave danger. When a pedestrian is struck, it can cause serious, life-threatening injuries. These individuals may be severely injured or may not even survive the accident. The driver who hits them should be held responsible for the part they played in this accident.

Pedestrians have the opportunity to file a lawsuit against the driver, who they deem responsible. If the driver was operating the vehicle in a reckless manner or was not aware of their surroundings, the pedestrian may be able to prove negligence on behalf of the driver. By proving negligence for this case, it may allow the pedestrian to receive compensation for their accident by winning the lawsuit. This compensation can be of great help since it can provide payment for medical bills, which can grow costly after an accident.

Why do I have to prove negligence?

Negligence on behalf of the driver needs to be proven to show that they are responsible for the accident. By holding them responsible for the accident, it may cause them to pay damages to the victim. If a driver was distracted by their phone or broke a traffic law, they may be deemed negligent. Sometimes a third party may be involved in the situation, such as a municipality. A municipality may have contributed by allowing dangerous road conditions to persist, contributing to the cause of the accident.

The damages gained from these accidents can be in the form of non-economic or economic damages. Non-economic damages cover the emotional turmoil that you have suffered from as a result of your accident. Economic damages can cover the cost of medical bills that have piled up, along with lost wages from your job and lost future wages if you are unable to return quickly.

If you are in need of experienced legal counsel for matters of personal injury, medical malpractice, medical device injuries, unsafe drug injuries, consumer protection, bankruptcy, SSD, or criminal law in New Jersey, please contact Tomes Law Firm, PC and we will be happy to assist you.